Privilege level for $ extended attributes? Re: Extended attribute interfaces

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 11 13:33:18 GMT 2000

Andreas,

With my current model for security (per-attribute per-fs), I assign read
and write privileges based on one of {kernel,root,owner,anyone}.  In your
model for application attributes, my understanding is that writing to a
user namespace attribute requires write access to the inode itself (i.e.,
read or write access from the permission mask).  This makes a lot of sense
to me for all the reasons we have discussed.  However, I was wondering
what model you were using to permit access to system attributes?  In a
post-root world, a uid0 check is not sufficient as uid0 should not connote
privilege.  Possibilities that come to mind include a new or existing
capability, but I was wondering how you had addressed this, and if you had
any thoughts on an appropriate solution here?

  Robert N M Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/