ACL implementation on FreeSBD: semantics/standards/etc

Casey Schaufler casey at sgi.com
Mon Jan 17 19:55:09 GMT 2000

Robert Watson wrote:

> I'm told that
> IRIX uses ACL_MAX_ENTRIES instead of MAX_ACL_ENTRIES

True enough

> --if this is the case,
> perhaps I should switch in the hopes of interoperability?

I've always been a prefix fan. I don't know if interoperability
is a good enough reason to change. Perhaps you could just cross
define them.

> Are there many
> consumers of the ACL interface directly in your environment, or does
> everything go through set/getfacl?

I know of no one who diddles ACLs on their own.

> maybe I should ship setfacl as it is...

That's what I'd do.

> What does ls -D do?

 -D   Print the Access Control List ( ACL ) for the entry as an acl(4)
      string enclosed in square brackets. If the ACL is empty or support
      for ACLs is not installed, the square brackets will be empty.

> At one point you mentinoed that IRIX backed security labels into extended
> attributes also, I think.  Did you expose the extended attribute interface
> in userland, and if so, might it be worth trying to be consistent between
> the two operating systems in term of userland interface?

ATTR_GET(2)
ATTR_GET(2)

NAME
     attr_get, attr_getf - get the value of a user attribute of a
filesystem
     object

C SYNOPSIS
     #include <sys/attributes.h>

     int attr_get (const char *path, const char *attrname,
                   char *attrvalue, int *valuelength, int flags);

     int attr_getf (int fd, const char *attrname,
                    char *attrvalue, int *valuelength, int flags);

OVERVIEW
     The attr group of system calls implement the ability for a user to
attach
     name/value pairs to objects within the filesystem.

     They could be used to store meta-information about the file.  For
example
     "character-set=kanji" could tell a document browser to use the
Kanji
     character set when displaying that document and "thumbnail=..."
could
     provide a reduced resolution overview of a high resolution graphic
image.

     The names can be up to MAXNAMELEN bytes in length, terminated by
the
     first 0 byte.  The intent is that they be printable ASCII (or other
     character set) names for the attribute.

     The values can be up to ATTR_MAX_VALUELEN (currently 64KB) of
arbitrary
     binary data.

     Attributes can be attached to all types of inodes:  regular files,
     directories, symbolic links, device nodes, etc.

     There are 2 disjoint attribute name spaces associated with every
     filesystem object.  They are the root and user address spaces.  The
root
     address space is accessable only to the super-user, and then only
by
     specifying a flag argument to the function call.  Other users will
not
     see or be able to modify attributes in the root address space.  The
user
     address space is protected by the normal file permissions
mechanism, so
     the owner of the file can decide who is able to see and/or modify
the
     value of attributes on any particular file.

     Attributes are currently supported only in the XFS filesystem type.

DESCRIPTION
     The attr_get and attr_getf functions provide a way to retrieve the
value
     of an attribute.

     Path points to a path name for a filesystem object, and fd refers
to the
     file descriptor associated with a file.  If the attribute attrname
     exists, the value associated with it will be copied into the
attrvalue
     buffer.  The valuelength argument is an input/output argument that
on the
     call to attr_get should contain the maximum size of attribute value
the

Page 1

ATTR_GET(2)
ATTR_GET(2)

     process is willing to accept.  On return, the valuelength will have
been
     modified to show the actual size of the attribute value returned.
The
     flags argument can contain the following symbols bitwise OR'ed
together:

     ATTR_ROOT
          Look for attrname in the root address space, not in the user
address
          space.  (limited to use by super-user only)

     ATTR_DONTFOLLOW
          Do not follow symbolic links when resolving a path on an
attr_get
          function call.  The default is to follow symbolic links.

     attr_get will fail if one or more of the following are true:

     [ENOATTR]        The attribute name given is not associated with
the
                      indicated filesystem object.

     [E2BIG]          The value of the given attribute is too large to
fit
                      into the buffer.  The integer that the valuelength
                      argument points to has been modified to show the
actual
                      numnber of bytes that would be required to store
the
                      value of that attribute.

     [ENOENT]         The named file does not exist.

     [EPERM]          The effective user ID does not match the owner of
the
                      file and the effective user ID is not super-user.

     [ENOTDIR]        A component of the path prefix is not a directory.

     [EACCES]         Search permission is denied on a component of the
path
                      prefix.

     [EINVAL]         A bit was set in the flag argument that is not
defined
                      for this system call.

     [EFAULT]         Path, attrname, attrvalue, or valuelength points
outside
                      the allocated address space of the process.

     [ELOOP]          A path name lookup involved too many symbolic
links.

     [ENAMETOOLONG]   The length of path exceeds {MAXPATHLEN}, or a
pathname
                      component is longer than {MAXNAMELEN}.

     attr_getf will fail if:

     [ENOATTR]      The attribute name given is not associated with the
                    indicated filesystem object.

     [E2BIG]        The value of the given attribute is too large to fit
into
                    the buffer.  The integer that the valuelength
argument
                    points to has been modified to show the actual
numnber of

Page 2

ATTR_GET(2)
ATTR_GET(2)

                    bytes that would be required to store the value of
that
                    attribute.

     [EINVAL]       A bit was set in the flag argument that is not
defined for
                    this system call, or fd refers to a socket, not a
file.

     [EFAULT]       Attrname, attrvalue, or valuelength points outside
the
                    allocated address space of the process.

     [EBADF]        Fd does not refer to a valid descriptor.

SEE ALSO
     attr(1),
     attr_list(2), attr_listf(2)
     attr_multi(2), attr_multif(2)
     attr_remove(2), attr_removef(2),
     attr_set(2), attr_setf(2),

DIAGNOSTICS
     Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned.  Otherwise, a
value
     of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error.

--

Casey Schaufler                         voice: (650) 933-1634
casey at sgi.com                           fax:   (650) 933-0170