tar, pax, cpio and POSIX 1003.1e data (ACLs, Capabilities, MAC,etc.)

Casey Schaufler casey at sgi.com
Mon Apr 3 17:02:40 GMT 2000

"James E. Pace" wrote:

> Spax came from the SecureWare product, so it shouldn't be HP specific.

Back when the P1003.1e/2c effort was known as P1003.6 we considered
the issue of backup. Tar and cpio were considered unextendable, so
pax was the obvious target. In keeping with the policy of creating
new programs rather than changing existing ones, an extended version
of pax was proposed. Since it would deal with more than one mechanism
it couldn't be mac_pax, cap_pax, or acl_pax. it would be ...

	6pax

I tell you, some people just have NO sense of humor.

--

Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
casey at sgi.com				voice: (650) 933-1634