Bell LaPadula (was Re: MAC implementation with definable policy)

Peter J. Holzer hjp at wsr.ac.at
Thu Sep 30 10:07:42 GMT 1999

On 1999-09-30 00:07:38 -0700, James Buster wrote:
> On Sep 30,  8:55am, "Ilmar S. Habibulin" wrote:
> } Ok. I'm reading file with labelA, then i'm reading file with labelB, which
> } dominates labelA. After reading i'm cleating new file. What label should
> } it have?
>
> The same label your process has.

Forgive me for showing off my ignorance, but I never understood how the
BL model was supposed to work. To read the file with labelB, your
process needs a label which is at least as high as labelB. But if all
the files it creates have this label, no process with a lower label can
ever read any output of this program. Information can flow in only one
direction. To use the military language often used when talking about
the BL model, the officers can only listen to the soldiers, but not
talk to them. Makes giving orders rather hard :-)

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth