ACLs: what to return for fs that doesn't support them?

Andreas Gruenbacher a.gruenbacher at infosys.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 28 22:58:35 GMT 1999

Casey Schaufler wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > What should acl_{get,set}_{file,fd} return when
> > the base FS doesn't support ACLs?
>
> At one point the Draft specified that ENOSYS be returned.
> That was dropped later, but I don't remember why.

I always assumed that the mode field should be modified on filesystems without
ACL support if possible. If this is not possible (i.e., with an extended ACL),
ENOSYS seems a good choice. What do you do on Irix?

Andreas

 Andreas Gruenbacher, Vienna University of Technology
 a.gruenbacher at infosys.tuwien.ac.at
 Contact information: http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/~agruenba