ACLs: Group permission test

Andreas Gruenbacher a.gruenbacher at infosys.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 6 23:11:29 GMT 1999

James Buster wrote:

> On Oct 6,  5:52pm, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> } Subject: ACLs: Group permission test
> } POSIX 1003.1e Draft Standard 17 document,
> } 23.1.5 ACL Access Check Algorithm:
> [deleted]
> } - Find an ACL_GROUP (or ACL_GROUP_OBJ) entry that has the
> } appropriate permissions set.
> }   - If such an entry exists, grant the requested access.
> }   - If such an enttry doesn't exist, deny access.
>
> This is not how the access rights of a group is determined, it's how
> the access rights of a process in multiple groups is determined. The
> actual Posix language is as follows:

Sorry I was not very precise. I just tried to pack the same message
in different words. Of course I meant the permissions a process gets.

> Rights accumulation is explicitly not allowed.
>
> [...]
>
> } A process requests rwx access. There are matching entries that
> } grant the process r-x and rw- access. In the POSIX version,
> } access is granted. In the Solaris version, access is denied.
>
> This seems backwards. In Posix, access is not granted. In Solaris, it is.

I seem to have been slightly confused...

> [...]
>
> It doesn't have unintended consequences. If you do access accumulation
> like Solaris does, it becomes too easy to inadvertantly grant access that
> wasn't intended by the person setting the ACL.

I still find this a very strange definition. Accumulation is what
everybody and their dog would expect, yet POSIX is different.
Standards are strange...

Andreas

 Andreas Gruenbacher, Vienna University of Technology
 a.gruenbacher at infosys.tuwien.ac.at
 Contact information: http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/~agruenba