options

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Sun Mar 14 00:40:00 GMT 1999

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Ilmar S. Habibulin wrote:

> I read 1e draft and don't understand what is {_POSIX_*} options. I suppose
> they are defined somewhere in posix.1 standard. But how to implement them
> - are trey compile-time options or some MIB-branches, which can be changed
> at runtime?

I was a little puzzled by the use in the draft also.  Traditionally, the
various options have been #define's.  But the auditing draft refers to
cases such as if _POSIX_AUD is defined at one point, but not at another,
making it sound a lot more like a MIB.  However, the draft does use the
word "defined" to describe it -- since C typically resolves "defined" at
compile-time, I just concluded I would define it since the library was
available, and take advantage of the ability to return a not-implemented
error for all the features if the current kernel does not have it compiled
in.  This is permissible according to the spec.

Are there other POSIX specs/features that have used the same kind of
language/behavior?

  Robert N Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/