where are the specs

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Wed Mar 10 01:46:47 GMT 1999

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Winfried Truemper wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > does anybody happen to know where I could download
> > a copy of the specs?  $much is a little out of my
> > reach at the moment ;(
>
> The IEEE is in progress of allowing me to offer the electronic
> version for public download:
>
> 	[..] I will give you permission to use and reproduce it as long as
> 	you use the necessary notices indicating IEEE copyright and that
> 	this is a withdrawn draft standard.

This is great news; I still have not heard back from them, but this is
extremely promising.

> The page is already set up, but I would like to add the formats
> "plain text" and "html", before the page is shown to the IEEE.
> See http://www.guug.de/~winni/posix.1e/download.html, but
> please don't spread the URL until we have the final ok.
>
> Unfortunately, I lack tools to build the document from the
> troff-sources. If anyone could help out, so all formats
> could be "authorized"... please reply to me personally,
> not to the list.

I have some experience with troff and can certainly look at it.  Do they
want to provide us with an alternative version of the document with a
revised footer specifying the redistribution rights?  We may want to check
on this and make the modification before too many copies are downloaded.
I'm particular interested in the modification redistribution rights given
that we already have many corrections that can be made.

> Another question would be the generation of man-pages from the
> troff-sources. It will be more difficult than the permission for everybody
> to just read the withdrawn standard, because we would need the right to
> distribute modified versions of IEEE works. Having looked at the relevant
> parts of the paper, I fear that it will cost us significant editorial work
> anyways (read: we can't just copy&paste from the standards paper). There
> are too many shalls and ifs addressing the needs of a standard - the
> manpage should address the actual implementation. If *some* sentences
> happen to be identical in our manpages, that won't be a problem, IMHO.

For my man pages, I have just been retyping with my
implementation-specific details.  I'm about 2/3 of the way done with the
man pages, and hope to release the FreeBSD auditing implementation RSN.

Thanks for your work on this; we all stand to benefit :-).

  Robert N Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/