PERFORCE change 179713 for review

Alexander Fiveg pebu3op at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 8 12:03:26 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 19:19:49 John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 2010 10:46:27 am Alexandre Fiveg wrote:
> > http://p4web.freebsd.org/@@179713?ac=10
> >
> > Change 179713 by afiveg at cottonmouth on 2010/06/17 14:46:03
> >
> > 	Begin with new design for ringmap:
> > 		1. The new structure with pointers to hardware dependent functions:
> > 			"struct ringmap_functions" (/net/ringmap.h)
> > 		2. Pointer to this structure placed in ringmap structure.
> > 		3. In the ringmap_attach function look for pci Id of network
> > controller, and then, depending on controllers type, initialize the
> > functions pointers: (ringmap.c: set_ringmap_funcs())
Hello John,

> I think 3) is the wrong way to go about it.  Can't you have the NIC driver
> attach a ringmap and supply the function pointers to the NIC-specific
> functionality instead?
I think I didn't exactly understand what do you mean :(

Actually the NIC driver in its attach() function calls ringmap_attach(), and
all settings which appears in the ringmap_attach() are related only to one
specific NIC.

> You really don't want to have two separate lists of
> device IDs.  The ringmap list will invariably become stale.
The second device's list contains only ID's of devices supported by ringmap.
The "em" driver in -CURRENT supports both 8254x and 8257x controllers. But
ringmap supports currently only 8254x. In the future ringmap should support
all devices supported by the driver which ringmap is based on. This means the
second ringmap-device-list will be unnecessary.