PERFORCE change 143121 for review

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Mon Jun 9 03:49:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:13:03PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It might look like that my "init" executable in the file system is out of
> date. The kernel boots fine up to the following point:
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0
> warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
> accurately
> Jun  4 20:32:47 init: login_getclass: unknown class 'daemon'
> Fatal kernel mode data abort: 'Alignment Fault 3'
> trapframe: 0xc67f7a24

We've seen this at least on RM9200 from time to time - not sure about
other arm.
Try adding or removing a driver to your kernel and see if it helps.
It's some kind of heisenbug, because a small unrelated change and the
problem is away, which makes is hard to debug.
See arm@ mail archives for more details.
IIRC it happened earlier during boot, so this can still be something
different after all.
Even with an out of date init the kernel shouldn't panic with an
alignment fault.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de