PERFORCE change 133911 for review

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 25 09:09:17 PST 2008

> I'd rather hoped to run the Cisco stuff using EABI, which doesn't need
> fp emulation in the kernel...

  EABI to my mind only helps in ultra-tight embedded environments, which
I don't think exist anymore. 8-byte vs 16-byte stack alignment isn't
going to help anyone.

  And if embedded environments are using a lot of soft-float, they are
running on the wrong type of CPU. Trapping to the kernel should be
infrequent, and it does allow a single ABI for all processor types.

  GCC will generate floating point instructions for data copying in
contrived situations, but there are none in base FreeBSD/ppc.

  My $0.02 ..

later,

Peter.