PERFORCE change 126243 for review

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Mon Sep 10 03:27:07 PDT 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 04:12:46 Julian Elischer wrote:
> Marko Zec wrote:
> > 	In addition to ethernet/VLAN ifnets, allow for ng_iface
> > 	ifnets to be reassigned from one vnet to another as well.
>
> I thought assignation was a property of all interfaces no matter what
> the type?

Some ifnet types have private structures that have trouble surviving
if_detach()/if_attach() sequence called externaly on them.  For example
802.11 ifnets typically hold bpf handles hidden somwhere inside their
private state, and thus cannot be easily moved around vnets without
modifying the drivers, and that is what I wish to avoid...  For some
other ifnets, say ppp(4) or sl(4), I'm not sure it would make much
sense to reassign them from one vnet to another; others like gif/gre
might need special handling to ensure "outer" and "inner" addresses
live in proper vnets, until this is addressed properly I thought it
might be better to disallow moving of such ifnets around vnets...

Cheers,

Marko