PERFORCE change 126745 for review

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 15 21:56:10 PDT 2007

* Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at freebsd.org> [070923 13:13] wrote:
> Hi Constantine,
>
> Thanks for your input and I _know_ that my code is not 100% style compliant.
> Most of the style misbehaves are probably there due to the way my "xemacs"
> autoformatting behaves. And I love curly brackets and parenthesis, by the
> way :-)
>
> My plan is to clean up all the style stuff by a small C-program in the end,
> because doing it by hand is waste of my time. Probably it will take less time
> to write that program than the actual manual edit when we are talking about
> doing alot of edits. It wonders me if such a tool already exists, because the
> code is technically OK.
>
> Anyone that wants to be a little more constructive and point towards where the
> FreeBSD style transformer program is? I assume it would be extremely useful
> to everyone that is forced to use multiple different styles depending on what
> project they are contributing to, like me. Then before commit I will run that
> script and verify the differences. And that's it.
>
> --HPS

Hans, one of the issues with doing such changes at the end is that it
effectively obliterates the ability to "cvs annotate" your code.  I'm
sure perforce has an 'annotate' command as well.

I would suggest that you find/fix the style now and apply it now rather
than later as the longer you wait, the more history you obliterate.

--
- Alfred Perlstein