PERFORCE change 119444 for review

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Mon May 7 23:35:42 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 01:22:59 Julian Elischer wrote:
> Marko Zec wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=119444
> >
> > Change 119444 by zec at zec_tpx32 on 2007/05/07 22:51:07
> >
> > 	Add support for free-floating ng_hub and ng_bridge instances.
> >
> > 	If a hook named "anchor" is created on a ng_hub or ng_bridge
> > 	node instance, the node will not self-destruct even if it
> > 	has no hooks connected.  Reminder: normal behavior is that
> > 	hub or bridge nodes automatically destroy themselves when
> > 	the last hook is disconnected.
>
> What is this hook attached to?
> One could just as easily send them a 'become persistant' message..
> It would be a good candidate for a generic message.
> Data is still sent to this hook. is that what is expected?

This hook should typically disappear right after it is created, if we
use it like this:

tpx32# ngctl mkpeer hub anchor anchor
tpx32# ngctl l
There are 3 total nodes:
Name: ngctl69865    Type: socket      ID: 0000040d   Num hooks: 0
Name: <unnamed>     Type: hub         ID: 0000040b   Num hooks: 0
Name: em0           Type: ether       ID: 00000004   Num hooks: 0

Yes, the only purpose of this is to pin-up the node.  We cannot send
a 'become persistant' message to a node that doesn't exist...  Or do
you have an alternative suggestion to achieve this functionality?  I
really need this badly for IMUNES...

Cheers,

Marko