PERFORCE change 97221 for review

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Tue May 16 01:37:59 UTC 2006

Ian Dowse wrote:

> In message <200605160001.k4G01hBX053502 at repoman.freebsd.org>, Scott Long writes
> :
>
>>	Add callout storage in the CCB for MPSAFE drivers to use.
>

> FYI, just in case it's of any use to you, there is a patch at
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~iedowse/cam_xccb.diff
>
> that was an attempt from a while back to separate the userland and
> kernel CCB structures to avoid breaking the ABI when making such
> changes. I wasn't sure if this was a sensible way to go for CCBs
> though, and the resulting code is a bit gross, so I didn't take it
> any further.
>
> Ian

What's going into P4 right now is just a 'get it done' effort.  When
it comes time to backport this to RELENG_6, I need to decide what
kernel and userland APIs are worth breaking and what ones are not.
However, 7.0 will represent a rather large API (and design) change
for CAM, and trying to use compat shims will probably be more effort
than it's worth.  With that in mind, I don't like gratuitous userland
changes either, so I'll keep your patch on the back-burner until it's
time to decide what to break and what to keep.

Scott