PERFORCE change 111230 for review

Paolo Pisati piso at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 7 09:51:39 PST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 04:16:41PM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Paolo Pisati wrote:
>
> >Then, after a discussion on irc, pull the plug on any present (and future)
> >hackery & half-baked solution, and declare in kernel libalias incompatible
> >with tso.
>
> This seems silly -- why is it not compatible?

Because libalias expects a pkt into a contiguous piece of memory, and
to achieve this we previously do a pullup of the entire pkt into an
mbuf cluster. This worked fine until libalias met a tso capable nic,
and i did a 'cvsup' on that box: TSO created pkts bigger than 2k, the
pullup function couldn't handle them and pkts were silently discarded.

The real solution here is to make libalias use mbuf chain, but i
wanted this code to enter the tree without any further delay, and thus
libalias was declared incompatible with tso.

bye
--

Paolo

Piso's first law: nothing works as expected!