PERFORCE change 111230 for review

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 7 08:30:54 PST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Paolo Pisati wrote:

> Then, after a discussion on irc, pull the plug on any present (and future)
> hackery & half-baked solution, and declare in kernel libalias incompatible
> with tso.

This seems silly -- why is it not compatible?  Perhaps I misunderstand, but I
thought TSO passed down valid TCP/IP packets, they just happen to be really
long, and will be post-processed by the hardware into a series of shorter
segments with the same header properties.  Imagine the ethernet device as a
"router" that's performing TCP fragmentation for you, rather than IP
fragmentation.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge