PERFORCE change 52052 for review

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Mon May 3 11:53:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:58:09PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 01 May 2004 09:30 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=52052
> >
> > Change 52052 by marcel at marcel_nfs on 2004/05/01 18:29:05
> >
> > 	Add commands to set and show threads. Needs fleshing out.
> > 	While here, cleanup a lot of unused code.
>
> I really wish we could get this back into close to 80 cols again.

Me too. Especially on 64-bit machines, the output of ps is just plain
unreadable. Let me know what you really like to see in a thread list
and I'll see if I can make it fit. We can also put certain info under
the "thread [tid]" command.

For example: the address of struct thread does not have to be printed
with "show threads", but it's probably a good idea to print it with
"thread [tid]" so that it can be dumped easily.

> Was
> thinking of having the thread inhibitors listed with one-char flags that were
> - if the flag as clear and a letter (S - sleeping, L - lock, W - swapped,
> etc.) and still have a single wchan/wmesg field that lists lock name for if
> TDI_LOCK is set, otherwise wmesg if on a sleep queue, etc.

I'm open to suggestions. We can even use modifiers to control the
output. No modifier gives the same behaviour as in gdb(1); the
"l" modifier prints lock information. The "p" modifier shows the
process specifics and so on.

Send brain dumps this way...

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net