PERFORCE change 43464 for review

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Dec 8 16:55:09 PST 2003

In message: <XFMail.20031208155247.jhb at FreeBSD.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
:
: On 05-Dec-2003 Nate Lawson wrote:
: > On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, John Baldwin wrote:
: >> Change 43464 by jhb at jhb_blue on 2003/12/05 12:59:01
: >>
: >>      More updates.  Closer to working than I thought.  In theory
: >>      PCI devices should all just work now.
: >
: > This handles PCI.  Are you ok with me adding the call to
: > acpi_pwr_switch_consumer() for non-PCI devices like the embedded
: > controller?  I think we need to do this at the top \\_SB level.  I'm a bit
: > confused as to the handoff between the general tree walk and the ACPI-PCI
: > driver though.
:
: It won't hurt to switch a device on twice.  It should be ok to
: do a top-level tree walk of all device objects and turn them on
: before probing child devices I think.  ACPI shouldn't turn off
: devices that don't probe like PCI does though because ACPI has
: duplicate objects of things like the entire PCI device tree. :-/

Actually, there can be times when you don't want to turn on devices at
all.  Walking the whole tree turning them on might be the wrong to
do...

Sometimes I think that things in the newbus tree should have a pointer
to the acpi power methods that are used in coordination with the bus
code that is 'activating' the device before the 'probe' and 'attach'
happens.

Warner