PERFORCE change 36551 for review

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Fri Aug 22 12:55:36 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 03:13:54PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> Yes.  For i386 definitely it would make sense to have a bus method
> >> that bubbles back up to the nexus(4) and eventually calls the
> >> MD interrupt code.  Maybe some kind of interrupt properties kobj
> >> interface:
> >
> > The impact of a seperate KOBJ interface is probably large. I can't
> > think of a use of this object that's unrelated to the bus object.
> > If we do have such an use, then it should probably be a seperate
> > interface, otherwise I think we should just add new methods to the
> > bus interface.
> >

> My only concern is that I'm afraid this isn't a very MI interface,
> but bus is probably an ok place for it for now.

Hmm.. Possibly.. I haven't given it that much thought. We could
encapsulate this in a generic resource property method, which
takes a pointer to an opaque type that's specific for the
resource type. For irqs this is a struct with polarity, mode,
CPU affinity, priority or maskability. Whatever we like.
For memory I/O ranges this could be a struct which includes such
things as coherence properties, cachability, speculatability or
other features of hardware we're not likely going to use.
For I/O port ranges this could be things like latencies or other
chipset specific fodder for when I/O ports are emulated.
The opaque types could be MI, MD or a mix like pcpu.

Thoughts?

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net