Does a Xen Dom0 require X to function

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Fri Oct 30 17:02:53 UTC 2015

I finally found a PC that had all of the necessary CPU instructions.  It is
my company issued i7 laptop.  I loaded FreeBSD Current on a spare hard drive
and Xen is able to start and the 'xl list' shows that my DomU is loaded and
running. I just get a black screen when attempting a vncviewer connection to
the Dom0 address from another computer.  I have not been able to get X to
start on this Lenovo W540 laptop because of known Xorg problems separating
the Intel 4600 primary display and the Nvidia graphic chip for the docking
station.  I wanted to test the functionality of Xen on FreeBSD before
commiting to purchase a new motherboard and CPU that supports VT-d and EPT.

I also got a xenserver syntax error when following the example configuration
shown on the FreeBSD Wiki writeup.  The 'vnclisten = 0.0.0.0' should have
quotes around it.  It should read vnclisten = "0.0.0.0"

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1