'Live' Migrate messes up NTP on FreeBSD domU - any suggestions?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 10:23:04 UTC 2015

--On 03 November 2015 12:21 +0100 Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau at citrix.com>
wrote:

> Is XenServer also synchronized using ntpd? When a guest resumes from
> migration is updates it's current time based on the time provided by the
> hypervisor, so if the hosts themselves are not synchronized you could
> see skews like that.

I've tested this on two pools now. The original production pool (Xeon
E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz) has the issue.

Our office / test pool (Xeon L5630 @ 2.13Ghz) also -has the issue-. Both
are setup pretty much identical (same storage solution, both running
FreeBSD 10.1/10.2-R with 'xe-guest-utilities' installed). Running or not
running NTP doesn't make a difference.

Live migrates result in the domU gaining several seconds (thus breaking NTP
if it is running) else leaving the host 'running in the future' vs. both
external clocks, and NTP sync'd clocks on the xenserver.

As it's easily reproducible I guess I'll file it as a bug...

-Karl