XenServer 6.5 migrate FBSD 10/11 results in clock reset to 1970?

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 14 20:42:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 09:16, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This has been seen before e.g. see
>
>  <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-xen/2013-December/001825.html>
>
> We're now seeing this now we've started using 10.x boxes under XenServer
> 6.5
>
> Is there any work around for it?
>
> The 'hit' rate for us seems to be quite high (+70%?) i.e. the clock
> resets
> most of the time we do even just a storage migration.
>
> The guests are running NTP - and that continues running after the event,
> but  is obviously unwilling to make such a big clock adjustment to drag
> the
> guests time from 1970 to present day.
>
> Unfortunately - this also causes various other things on the box to break
> as well :(
>
> Is there no 'after migration' hook or script I can lodge some code to
> shutdown NTP, do an ntpdate - then restart NTP again?

When I ran into this I manually stopped NTP, migrated, ran ntpdate,
started NTP again. It was painful.

The problem as I recall is in the PVHVM code and is fixed upstream in
Xen but wasn't pulled into XenServer. Roger will know more details, but
if you have a Citrix support contract you should pressure them to open a
bug / regression on this. Unfortunately I'm no longer in a position to
do so...