dom0: only on intel?

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Aug 13 15:13:24 UTC 2015

On Aug 13, 2015 5:35 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> My impression from reading documents on FreeBSD Dom0 is that it is
> supported only on Intel systems (VT-x, EPT, etc).
> So, just to be sure, AMD-V is no go at the moment?

That is correct. FreeBSD dom0 support is  PVH mode only. The Xen code does not support AMD CPUs with PVH so this is not unique to the FreeBSD port. I saw a couple of patches floated on the Xen list but they never got committed. Roger would know more about their fate.

It appears that the idea of what PVH mode is and how it should be implemented in Xen is still up for debate. It may be quite some time before FreeBSD has a fully featured/supported dom0 as it is built on this experimental mode. There wasn't much movement with respect to PVH between the last Xen release and the forthcoming release, but that seems to be due to patches stacking up behind new migration V2 code. Hopefully things will be better the next go around.