Boot FreeBSD 10 in HVM mode under Xen?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Aug 6 13:06:40 UTC 2015

--On 06 August 2015 13:46 +0200 Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau at citrix.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the delay, as usual I've been busy with a bunch of other
> stuff. You can find the patch against HEAD here:
>
> https://people.freebsd.org/~royger/0001-xen-allow-disabling-PV-disks-and-
> nics.patch
>
> The description is self-explanatory I think. I've not tried to apply it
> to stable-10, but I don't think there have been many changes in this
> area in general. If you need help backporting it ping me and I will
> provide a suitable version.

Hi,

Thanks for the patch! - I couldn't apply it automatically (not entirely
sure what to do with a git diff like that :) - and, the hvm.c part of patch
wouldn't apply cleanly anyway (too much difference).

*Having said that* - I applied it by hand to my 10.1-R system, and it seems
to work perfectly. I've put the XENHVM and xenpci back in the kernel,
re-enabled veridian for that VM, and put 'hw.xen.disable_pv_nics=1' in boot
loader.

I now have a PV disk, but HVM NIC (re0) based machine - that's agile, and
works with OpenVPN and inter-VM routing.

I can post the standard 'diff -u' patchset against 10.1 back to the list if
needed (I know other people had PV NIC issues and were using the same
non-agile "boot as HVM" fix for it).

Cheers,

-Karl