disk loss

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea egoitz at sarenet.es
Tue Oct 21 07:24:01 UTC 2014

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
Departamento de sistemas
944 209 470
Parque Tecnológico. Edificio 103
48170 Zamudio (Bizkaia)
egoitz at sarenet.es <mailto:egoitz at sarenet.es>
www.sarenet.es <http://www.sarenet.es/>
Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico piense si es necesario hacerlo.

> El 20/10/2014, a las 14:34, Mark Felder <feld at FreeBSD.org> escribió:
>

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014, at 02:09, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I would recommend you using NFS instead of iSCSI. It’s far more better to
>> handle the connection to disk arrays (the FreeNAS in this situation)
>> through a mature and stable protocol like NFS
>> and not something manipulating blocks directly. I would advise you to
>> rely the responsibility of serving the SR to NFS.
>>

> You can't have redundant paths with NFS (in FreeBSD), though. I'm not so
> sure everyone would agree that NFS is mature and stable, either :-)

Sure you can have redundant paths with a proper configuration with Spanning tree… and everything not touching directly blocks
is IMHO always safer… because the part you rely the disks integrity is all in the same place… and takes care of committing changes
properly having less probabilities to leave the vdi corrupt….

Faster??… how have you written to disk?? the file system you have used to which NFS was doing I/O how did it manage the write commits?. Did
you use Jumbo frames?… there is pretty relative all that you have said… And IMHO yes, NFS is tested and tried (mainly in some versions and configs)
very extensively and with very high loads… apart nowadays 10gbps switches exist...