CFT: replacing XENHVM kernel config with GENERIC + xenhvm.ko

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 28 18:29:26 UTC 2013

Hi Roger,

On 08/28/13 08:44, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On 27/08/13 07:08, Colin Percival wrote:
>> I've attached a patch which eliminates the XENHVM kernel configuration and
>> instead allows FreeBSD to run under Xen/HVM with PV drivers by loading a
>> new xenhvm.ko module from the boot loader.
>
> I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not sure this is the best way to move
> forward, I would prefer to just have the files merged directly into the
> GENERIC kernel rather than having to load a module. Also with the PVHVM
> changes I've posted earlier I'm modifying some common files, which
> cannot be put into a module, so it makes me wonder if it's worth it to
> have some Xen specific code into a module while the rest of it is
> already integrated into GENERIC.

Are your changes going to be integrated into HEAD in time for 10.0-RELEASE?
(i.e., before the code freeze starts, 10 days from now?)

I don't care about the "module" bit; the important part to me is getting
rid of the XENHVM kernel configuration file so that the GENERIC kernel which
ships with the release (with or without modules) will be able to run on EC2.

The reason I opted for a module was that with the freeze being under two
weeks away this was a way to ensure that the HVM bits couldn't possibly
cause problems for !Xen systems.

--
Colin Percival