FreeBSD Xen Dom0 Support

Lukas Laukamp lukas at laukamp.me
Mon May 28 17:20:45 UTC 2012

Hello all,

the first thing I have to say that my english is not the best, sorry for
that.

I have a question about the Dom0 support on FreeBSD. At the moment I
have a few Debian Linux Dom0 systems running DomUs on Xen 4.0. In the
future I want to migrate to FreeBSD but I don't know whether there is
support for Xen Dom0 on FreeBSD. I read that NetBSD support Xen Dom0 but
I can't find something about the support for Dom0 on FreeBSD. I have
found some texts and tutorials about creating FreeBSD DomUs but I think
they could first help me later.

When there is support for Dom0 on FreeBSD what would I have to do, to
get Xen running. So I would say that I have to compile the hypervisor
and have to compile a FreeBSD kernel with Dom0 and to have running PV
guests DomU support. And would I be right that I simply can migrate
running linux guests to a running FreeBSD Dom0 when I have a DomU aware
linux kernel?

It would be great to get a few answers about Dom0 and DomU support on
FreeBSD and what I would have to do. My aim is to get a FreeBSD Dom0
with FreeBSD PV DomUs for services like mail and so on.

When there are documents which document such a setup it would be great
to get them or links to them.

BEST REGARDS