amd64 xen hvm shutdown

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Thu Feb 2 21:37:45 UTC 2012

On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Richard Kojedzinszky wrote:

> Dear users,
>
> I am trying to compare the 8.2 i386 PV mode and 9.0 amd64 hvm mode, regarding
>
> $ xm shutdown
>
> from outside.
>
> While 8.2 PV shuts down well, 9.0 hvm does not. Is it an issue of the xen hypervisor, or of freebsd?
>
> What experience do others have?

If you are using a FreeBSD amd64 kernel with Xen PV drivers installed, shutdown behavior is controlled
by the PV "control" driver.  This driver notices updates to the "control/shutdown" node in the XenStore and
is supposed to act accordingly.  For a reboot or power off event, it simply calls
shutdown_nice(RB_POWEROFF|RB_HALT), or shutdown_nice(0) as appropriate.  If you can capture the
value of the shutdown node in the XenStore, it should be pretty easy to debug this.

--
Justin