cannot create new partition - Floating exception (core dumped)

laurent.cligny at gmail.com laurent.cligny at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 08:08:56 UTC 2011

Le 06/10/2011 01:59, other at ahhyes.net a écrit :
> Ok,
>
> The silence is deafening. I'll be filing a PR.
Hi,

I can say I had the very same partitionning problem just yesterday. The
PR is a good idea, as you are not the only one to have this issue.

> Alex.
>
> On 30.09.2011 11:27, other at ahhyes.net wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have a Xen HVM VPS and am running a Xen HVM kernel.
>>
>> vps# uname -a
>> FreeBSD vps.mydomain.net 9.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 9.0-BETA3 #0: Mon Sep 26
>> 08:20:20 EST 2011
>> alex at vps.mydomain.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/custom  amd64
>>
>> Everytime I try to use sysinstall to create a new partition, it
>> crashes with a "Floating exception (core dumped)"
Same error message here, I explain below the workaround I used.

>> I seem to recall this issue was evident in 8.x as well.
>>
>> I found this article that explains the problem briefly:
>>
>> http://deadmemes.net/2011/03/05/freebsd-8-2-hvmxen4-update/
>>
>> Is there a proper solution??
As I said, I had the very same problem trying to add a new virtual disk
on a 8.2 XENHVM virtual machine. As stated in the link you provided,
that I also found trying to solve this issue, the hard drive geometry is
not properly detected when using XENHVM kernel.
I think if you go to sysinstall->fdisk you will find at the top of the
screeen that the geometry reported is 0/0/0.

>> vps# mount
>> /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
>> /dev/ad0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>> /dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>> /dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>>
>> What I would be creating is an ad0s2a partition as there is
>> unallocated space left on the drive.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to go about creating the extra partition
>> without screwing up my install?
What I did is going to sysinstall fdisk, type "g" to enter the disk
geometry manually by entering values correponding to my new virtual
drive as calculated in the link at "deadmemes.net". For instance, for my
300Gib disk it was "36472/255/63". Then I pressed "w" to write the
changes before quitting with "q"

After that I setup my new disk on command line following the handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html at section
"18.3.2.1 using slices but _without the first "dd" command_.

Note that I created a single slice with only one partition on my new
virtual disk, but it should also work for you.

>> Cheers,
>> Alex.

Regards,

Laurent Cligny