kernel + embedded sysinstall mfsroot?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu Jun 9 14:40:37 UTC 2011

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 09/06/2011 04:55 William Pitcock said the following:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone working on building install kernels with embedded mfsroot
>> (which you then go in over console to do the actual install obviously)?
>>
>> If not, would anyone be interested in working on that if a bounty were
>> offered?  I think it would be helpful to improving the port if it were
>> easy to install FreeBSD in Xen from scratch (which would improve motivation
>> for testing).
>

> mfsBSD could be something like what you describe.

I tried to use sysinstall from mfsBSD to install FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 on to
already partitioned gmirror, but without success.
Sysinstall unpacked distribuition files in to right place (/mnt) but
adding users, rc.conf, timezone and other settings was done in running
live system, not on installed files under /mnt.
Maybe it was my mistake in some sysinstall configuration. I tried it
hard, but no luck...

Miroslav Lachman