FreeBSD 8, PV i386 VNC fails?

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Tue Jul 26 22:49:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 03:04:48PM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
> On 07/26/11 14:48, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > Probably not doing it right.  When I switched from pure HVM to PV on the
> > i386 VMs in the cluster, VNC stopped working all together.  Did I do it
> > wrong?
>
> Is it possible to use PV with VNC?  I thought under PV there wasn't any
> emulated console, just the Xen paravirtual console which lets you read
> and write characters as on a serial console.

It's possible, redhat built a paravirtualized framebuffer to give
pv guests a framebuffer

http://www.xen.org/files/xensummit_4/Xenpvfb07_Armbruster.pdf

I imagine the problem is probably hypervisor dependent;  I mean,
I don't know anyone who actually used the paravirtualized framebuffer,
so it's probably not well tested, and may suffer from bit rot as other
features are added to xen.  I tested it, /I believe/ on rhel/centos 5.3.