Xen save/resume with XENHVM kernel

Scott Burns scott at bqinternet.com
Wed Jul 20 23:21:16 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I have been using FreeBSD 8.2 with the XENHVM kernel for several months.
  The performance is great, and the reliability is rock solid.  However,
while preparing to upgrade the hardware in our Xen servers, I was
unpleasantly surprised to find that Xen's save/restore functionality
does not work, and thus I can't use live migration.

I see in sys/dev/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c that the blkfront_resume()
function is not implemented, and there are also some notes about it in
blkif_recover().  Is anyone currently working on this?  Is there a hack
I could use to get live migration working, even if it's not under ideal
conditions?

--
Scott Burns
System Administrator