breakage in blkfront with ring_pages > 1

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 6 04:14:10 UTC 2011

On 07/05/11 19:42, Colin Percival wrote:
> On 07/05/11 19:04, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>  On 7/5/11 7:14 PM, Colin Percival wrote:
>>> Maybe the right option is to have a loader tunable dev.xn.linuxback to
>>> control which version of the protocol is used?
>>
>> What a mess.
>
> Yep.  Mess or not, shall I go ahead with having a loader tunable control this,
> or can you think of a better solution?

Does anyone object to the attached patch?  It keeps the differing behaviour to
a minimum -- we MUST set ring-ref with a FreeBSD blkback, and we MUST NOT set
it with a linux blkback -- but otherwise errs in the direction of setting more
variables than are needed, to maximize the possibility of a future blkback
being compatible with both blkback_is_linux=0 and blkback_is_linux=1.

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve