kern/154302: Linux suffers from the same problem

Janne Snabb snabb at epipe.com
Tue Apr 5 08:50:13 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/154302; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Janne Snabb <snabb at epipe.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/154302: Linux suffers from the same problem
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:47:26 +0000 (UTC)

 Just an interesting note about this issue:

 I noticed that Linux suffers from the same problem. The Linux driver
 is somehow able to proceed even though getting the mac address
 fails. Therefore this Xen bug/feature does not cause headaches
 there, even though we need a workaround in FreeBSD driver.

 Have a look at Red Hat's virtualization guide:

 http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Troubleshooting_the_Xen_para_virtualized_drivers-Verifying_the_para_virtualized_drivers_have_successfully_loaded.html

 There you will see the following line:

 vif vif-0: 2 parsing device/vif/0/mac

 ...which is an indication of this very same error condition.

 However according to the Red Hat documentation this just means that
 the PV drivers have successfully loaded :).

 --
 Janne Snabb / EPIPE Communications
 snabb at epipe.com - http://epipe.com/