kern/148262: [xen] [panic] HYPERVISOR_update_va_mapping

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Oct 2 15:50:03 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/148262; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/148262: [xen] [panic] HYPERVISOR_update_va_mapping
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 17:31:51 +0200

 Oops forgot to Cc bug-followup@ ...

 Cc: freebsd-bugs at FreeBSD.org, freebsd-xen at FreeBSD.org,
         Yuriy Kohut <ykohut at onapp.com>, jkim at FreeBSD.org

 [kern/149853 is a duplicate of this]

 I don't use xen myself here but I helped someone on irc troubleshoot
 the same crash (before I saw these PRs), and found out the reason it
 didn't happen on 8.0 is the x86bios code is new in 8.1 and xen doesn't
 like this call in x86bios_map_mem():

 	x86bios_ivt = pmap_mapbios(X86BIOS_IVT_BASE, X86BIOS_IVT_SIZE);

 see:

 	http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/compat/x86bios/x86bios.c?v=FREEBSD8#L498

 It seems the only consumers of x86bios are atkbd(4), dpms(4), and
 vesa(4), and indeed removing atkbd(4) from the xen kernel got his
 domU running.

 (And now that I just looked at /sys/i386/conf/XEN in svn I see this
 was already fixed in r204157, it only never got MFCd.)