XenTools development for FreeBSD

James Smith James.Smith at m247.com
Fri Jan 8 08:42:49 UTC 2010

Hi Guys / Gals,

I work for a hosting company in the UK.  We prefer to use FreeBSD for our shared hosting platform, over anything Linux based.  However, we've hit a problem with virtualisation.

We want to use XenServer (iscsi SAN storage) by Citrix and FreeBSD.  We've got a testing setup in place, so we can play around with the features.  FreeBSD runs and installs quite well within this environment, along with Linux distros, Windows etc.  There is something called XenTools (commercial software from Citrix), amongst other things its main job is to facilitate VM migration between nodes when using XenServer (it is awesome, no ping drops, at worst higher latency for two pings and then it's done).  This runs on Linux ... but there is no FreeBSD version.

We're willing to sponsor development of XenTools for FreeBSD, if anyone out there is interested in getting involved.

Regards,
James Smith,
M247 Ltd