FreeBSD/EC2 lives!

Collin Forbes collin.forbes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 21:53:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:11:06AM -0800, Colin Percival wrote:

> Probably the biggest thing you can do to help right now is to spin up a bunch
> of instances, throw some load at them, and see if you can get them to panic. :-)

I signed up for Amazon EC2 last night and managed to panic my FreeBSD
instance a couple times today while compiling security/libgcrypt out of
/usr/ports.

The panics happen during the configure phase, and the last line I see
before the panic is:

    checking whether mlock is broken...

I'm a debugging n00b however.  What do you need in terms of a debugging
report?  I have files in /var/crash as a result of the two panics at
exactly the same place.

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel          2 Dec 20 21:16 bounds
-rw-------  1 root  wheel     149546 Dec 20 20:45 core.txt.0
-rw-------  1 root  wheel     140384 Dec 20 21:16 core.txt.1
-rw-------  1 root  wheel        519 Dec 20 20:45 info.0
-rw-------  1 root  wheel        518 Dec 20 21:16 info.1
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel          5 Dec 11 21:52 minfree
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  118460416 Dec 20 20:45 vmcore.0
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  102764544 Dec 20 21:16 vmcore.1

And finally my "uname -a" is:

FreeBSD ip-10-196-90-178 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #68: Sun Dec 12 03:52:29 UTC 2010     root at chch.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/i386.i386/usr/src/sys/XEN  i386

(Sent to the freebsd-xen mailing list as well)

Collin Forbes    collin.forbes at gmail.com