Problem: Xen 3.3.1 with FreeBSD 8.0 RC1

Carsten Heesch sysconfig at ossafe.org
Sat Oct 24 21:03:23 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I don't know really when the bug was introduced, but maybe I can help
narrowing it down.

I have similar problems as others reported: Running FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 as
a guest in a Xen 3.3.1 environment fails with either "kernel trap 12"
in an endless loop (using amd64) or "kernel trap 9" (using i386).

For 8.0-RC1 it doesn't make a difference if it's a clean install, in
which case I wouldn't even be able to start the installer, or a
"freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.0-RC1" from 7.2-RELEASE, in which case it
wouldn't reboot with the newly compiled kernel.

Funnily one of the earlier betas (not sure which one it exactly was,
and can't reproduce any more, as they are not available on any
mirrors), and 8.0-SNAPSHOT-200906 (tested today) both work without any
problems.

With the snapshot, I was also able to build a XENHVM kernel, which
boots fine, and offers the XENHVM network and block devices.

The environment I'm testing on is:
- Intel i7 920, 12 GB RAM
- Dom0 is running on CentOS 5.2 and Xen 3.3.1 (Citrix XenServer 5.5)

Is there any way to extract relevant information, which would help you
to fix it? I'd really like to see FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE working on Xen!
So if there is anything you need to know, please tell me what it is,
and how I can gather it.

Cheers
Carsten