Getting started with FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 on Xen

Allan cr4z3d at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:34:46 UTC 2009

Hello,

I would like to properly run FreeBSD 8 on my installation of Xen. I've got
an AMD X2 processor and 8GB of ram on my host system. It's running
OpenSolaris xVM svn_124.

Xen information:
Using library: libvir 0.6.0
Using API: Xen 3.0.1
Running hypervisor: Xen 3.3

I'm using ZFS zvol's for the disk, and I get the following error during the
install:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/123316/err.png (sorry for the link, not sure if
attachments are allowed here)

I have not tried installing from 7.2 just yet, but will be doing so soon.
For the settings, this is what I used to install:

virt-install --name frisbee --ram 512 --vnc --os-type=unix
--os-variant=freebsd7 --network bridge=dev0 --file
/dev/zvol/dsk/tank/guests/dom3/disk0 --cdrom
/tank/install/ISOs/8.0-RC2-amd64-dvd1.iso --hvm

Allan Feid
Unix Administrator
B.S. Network Engineering