Root mount failed

Bunkertor bunkertor at tiscali.it
Sun Nov 23 10:20:29 PST 2008

Volker Jahns ha scritto:
> Bunkertor wrote:
>> hi to all.
>> i'm trying to install freebsd as domU on linux xen-ified kernel and i
>> followed steps suggested in this post
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-xen/2008-October/000009.html.
>> kernel customization works with no errors, so i presume i got a valid
>> kernel for domU but when i try to start freebsd vm, this is the boot
>> output:
>> =================================================================================================
>>
>> [root at bran xen]# xm create freebsd-63.py -c
>> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/xbd1s1a
>>
>> Manual root filesystem specification:
>>                       eg. ufs:da0s1a
>>  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
>>  <empty line>       Abort manual input
>>
>> mountroot> ?
>>
>> List of GEOM managed disk devices:
>>  xbd1
>>
>> Manual root filesystem specification:
>>                       eg. ufs:da0s1a
>>  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
>>  <empty line>       Abort manual input
>>
>> mountroot> ufs:xbd1
>> Trying to mount root from ufs:xbd1
>> gather xs_read xs_single /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/34/768/state
>> xs_talkv read_reply event=2 itype=2 htype=2 len=NULL
>>
> You might try to specify this path of root partition
> --
> ufs:xbd1s1a
> --
> where  xbd1s1 stands partition "a" on slice 1 on disk 1. The path to
> the root partition however depends on how you created your partitions
> at installation.

thanks all for quick answers!
if i try to add manually root partition as you suggest, nothing happen,
it returns at <mountroot> prompt..
when i list valid boot disk device, at <mountroot> prompt, it shows to
me the device reported on log (xbd1), but it seems it doesnt like it (as
previous log reports).
the kernel i use to boot freebsd vm on dom0 was compiled on another
machine (out of the box?), an old hp notebook with freebsd 6.1 and with
this fstab:
-bash-2.05b$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1d             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
so root partition is on disk 0, slice 1, partition a.
one note: whe i compiled this kernel, i've installed it and world not in
standard path but in other one, installing with DESTDIR option, becouse
i didnt want to override working installation on notebook.
i've tried to change xen configuation file of freebsd vm as follows but
with same problem:
name = 'freebsd-63'
memory = '128'
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,hda,w' ]
on_shutdown = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'
kernel = '/mnt/exports/kernel'
extra = 'boot_verbose'
extra += ',boot_single'
#extra += ',vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/xbd0s1a,hint.apic.0.disabled=1'
extra += ',vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/xbd0s1a'
extra += ',xencons=tty'