Xorg is making the machine freezes when exit

John D. Hendrickson johnandsara2 at cox.net
Mon Mar 30 23:47:14 UTC 2015

Vinicius Abrahao wrote:
> Guys, I do not know if all of you read the great forum.
>
> Sorry if you already read this msg, but I am sharing the problem here too.
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/can-not-exit-x-the-returns-pc-freezes.51063/
>
> Looks like is a misunderstanding between vt and Xorg.
>

> Can some body help me with this?
>
> The entire machine is "locking" (nether ping responds anymore) when I go
> back to console or exit Xorg.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vinícius

yup that's bad but it could be

1) did you hack bios settings or video card "run hot"?  back them off to
default

2) did you test your memory ?

3) did you port / compile it?  probably you should
    (ie, so it uses instructions you pc/cell actually has)

    make double sure you make clean and look at configure options

4) make sure your lo, loopback, unix/raw device isn't down
    see ifconfig(1) and route(1).  do you have a cron(1) script
    or some bot that "automagically" might, oops

$ ifconfig lo down ???

    X11 and PC can act strange when that happens: appears it's locked
    up when it's not.  Debian had users with that problem for a long
    time.