Whither ttmkfdir?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 24 20:59:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:01:11PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I see that x11-fonts/ttmkdir has been deleted and marked as "orphaned". It
> is still readily available from several places including the frozen, but
> very much alive FreeCode as well as Github. I don't know of any substitute
> for this tool to build font directories for TT fonts.
>
> Are font directories still needed? If so, this port really needs to be
> restored. It may be old and had not had an update for over a decade, but it
> is simple and does the job. I thought RedHat was still "supporting" it.
>
> If font directories are no longer required by the latest Xorg-server, never
> mind.

First mkfontdir/mkfontscale does a better job than ttmkfdir, the MOVED section
state if about the removal of ttmkfdir.

Second all fonts ports are automatically running mkfontdir/mkfontscale when
needed and running fc-cache so that all application (most of them now) can find
fonts via fontconfig.

Xorg server is reading directly fonts from ${LOCALBASE}/share/fonts (before it
was lib/X11/fonts) and find there all the fonts it needs correctly.

If anything not automatically works as you do expect please tell me, I'll fix.

Best regards,
Bapt