KMS error while trying to switch user in KDE

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 23:58:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Jean-Sébastien Pédron <
jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr> wrote:

> On 29.08.2014 21:24, Toomas Aas wrote:
> > Hello!
>
> Hi!
>
> > One thing that does not work is 'switch user' functionality in KDE. When
> > attempting to start new session, the screen flashes briefly and then I
> > am returned to active session with screen locked, which I can unlock and
> > continue working.
>
> Could you please clone the "kms-drm-update-38" branch from the following
> Git repository:
>   https://github.com/dumbbell/freebsd/tree/kms-drm-update-38
>
> Then, rebuild the kernel from this branch. This is 11-CURRENT, but
> again, just take the kernel, keep your 10.x userland.
>
> --
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron

That may be fine, but most of the time I was running head (FreeBSD 4-7),
the kernel ABI had changed enough that a lot of stuff simply didn't work.
This means tools mostly, E.g. top, *stat and the like. I have not been
running head since 10.0 was released, so this may be safe, but I'd be
careful to keep my old kernel and modules (/boot/kernel.old/*) in a safe
place just in case.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com