How to configure a desired screen resolution

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 03:24:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Gerd Hafenbrack <hafenbrack at freenet.de>
wrote:

> On 2014-10-16 23:37, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> The problem is that the 7000 is supported with Gallium, but the 8000 is
>> listed as no working. ...
>>

> With 7000 and 8000 you mean the integrated graphics in the APUs?
> Why should the HD 7xxxD be supported and the HD 8xxxD not?
> It is the same TeraScale 3 (VLIW4) architecture.

Just checked https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/WITH_NEW_XORG and the "Not
supported" is no longer there. In fact, it now shows all AMD GPUs working
on 9.3, 10.x and HEAD, so I was providing old information. Of course, OP
lists 8.4/10.1-RC and all newer AMD GPUs are a no-go on 8.4 but working on
10.1-RC. So the answer is to build a kernel WITH_GALLIUM and run 10.1-RC2.
Be sure /usr/ports is up to date as NEW_XORG became default on all branches
on Oct. 3. An older tree will still default to the old Xorg for 8 and 9. 10
got NEW_XORG as default on Oct. 1. The wiki page lists which ports which
require a rebuild if moving to NEW_XORG.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
rkoberman at gmail.com