Trying to get intel driver to work with Xorg on stable10-amd64, GM965 chipset

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Thu Feb 13 09:49:03 UTC 2014

On 13.02.2014 03:54, Andrew Lankford wrote:
> I have a Dell vostro 1400 laptop (~2008ish).  Prior to building Xorg
> with KMS NEW_XORG options, DRI on my intel chipset worked so-so.  After
> an upgrade or two with the new options, the intel driver somehow worked
> without the DRI/DRM/etc.  Now after a fresh build, Xorg doesn't use the
> intel driver at all.  I can only get the vesa driver to give me
> 1024x768x24.  A test of the intel driver, Xorg config info, and lots of
> debugging info is attached.
>
> It would be nice to Xorg fully working again, but I'm not sure what to
> make of the error messages and not sure what to try next.
>
> Any hints?

Hi Andrew!

Looking at the list of loaded kernel modules, I see that you have the
old (non-KMS) and the new (KMS) drivers loaded at the same time:
  12    1 0xffffffff80d2c000 ac440    i915kms.ko
  17    1 0xffffffff80e55000 d5e8     i915.ko

You don't want to load i915.ko. If you changed /boot/loader.conf to load
them at boot time, remove those two lines. The appropriate kernel module
will be loaded automatically when X.Org starts.

Furthermore, you can run X.Org without a configuration file: it can
autodetect hardware and configure itself correctly most of the time.

Another minor detail, the WITH_KMS flag in /etc/make.conf is not used
anymore by any ports. You can remove this line:
  WITH_KMS=yes

You can find an up-to-date procedure to install WITH_NEW_XORG ports on
the wiki:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Installing_KMS_Ports

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron