NEW_XORG and vt(4) in stable branches

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 12 19:44:01 UTC 2014

I just wanted to drop a note to see if everyone is on the same page here.  I
know that core@ has been discussing the NEW_XORG internally quite a bit, but
that has all been internal to core@ so far.

Our current feeling is that we would like to not enable NEW_XORG by default
for the packages for a given src branch until vt(4) has been merged to that
branch.  We do not think that vt(4) needs to be enabled by default in the
branch; just having it available as an option as it is in HEAD would be
sufficient.  Our understanding is that merging vt(4) in its current-ish form
to stable/10 and stable/9 is quite feasible and not a major nightmare.  We do
not feel that it is necessary to merge to stable/8 as drm2 isn't merged to
stable/8 either.  (Our assumption is that stable/8 will just stay with the old
Xorg and the ports tree will have to support old Xorg until 8.x support in
ports is EOL'd.)

Does that sound sensible?  Are any of our assumptions above incorrect?

I know that on the Graphics page on the wiki, the x11@ team has a target date
of enabling NEW_XORG for stable branches (is that 9 and 10?) in March.  Do we
think vt(4) can be merged to stable/10 and stable/9 before then?

--
John Baldwin