KMS on Radeon HD 3870

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 11 19:59:25 UTC 2014

Le 10/02/2014 14:37, Hannes a écrit :
> I have tried with 10.0-RELEASE again, and the problem persists.
> Sometimes a session runs for 8hours without issues, sometimes is reboots
> after 2min.

When the reboot happens, do you happen to use a lot of system memory?
Currently, our Radeon driver behaves badly when the memory is under
heavy pressure.

> Other issues I am seeing is spontaneous lockups of X. It looks like a
> hang, but than after 10-30s there is a flicker and regular operation is
> resumed (happened only twice up till now).

It could be the same problem than with reboots, but in this case, the
driver could recover.

> Another weird thing I noticed, is that video doesn't work right. No
> matter whether I pick XV or GL, with the new drivers video is stuttery
> at best. This happens on mplayer, vlc and xine.

Could you please try to run Ubuntu 13.04 live CD and check how it
behaves on it? It has the same Radeon driver as us.

> Unfortunately I do not have SWAP on this machine, as I have only a small
> SSD, but lots of RAM. There is no way to get a crash dump then, is there?

You could setup a USB pen as a swap device.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron