Question about OpenGL Version on ATI Radeon HD 4850 using KMS

Werner Lehmann lehmannwer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:08:22 UTC 2014

Dear Sirs,

first of all I would like to thank you for the wonderful job you have
done so far on implementing KMS on FreeBSD. As I have a Radeon HD 4850
card in my windows-pc, I wanted to give it a try with FreeBSD 10.0
(32bit) which I installed on a 4GB USB-Stick. I compiled xorg using the
options

WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
WITH_GALLIUM=yes

as described in https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

and also installed mesa-demos and a minimal graphical environment
(fluxbox) for testing.

When typing 'glxinfo' I could see that I had direct rendering and OpenGL
2.1. I also tested Darkplaces (pkg install darkplaces) and it ran fine,
at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 at approx. 40 fps, so wow!

But my question is: Why only OpenGL 2.1, when according to mesa3g.org in
mesa 9.1 there is already OpenGL 3.1 and in mesa 10.1 OpenGL 3.3?

What is missing and what still needs to be done and when can a higher
version of OpenGL be expected?

Thank you very much!

Regards

Werner Lehmann