New X test: blank with 6970 and two DVI monitors.

Mark Atkinson atkin901 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 16:30:23 UTC 2013

On 09/17/2013 08:40, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> I was excited to finally try and get X onto the console of my
> workstation. For various reasons, I have an i7 with a 6970 graphics
> card, and this configuration has been lonely.
>
> I've put copies of the relevant txt output @
> https://uk.eicat.ca/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=4fe892d7049037bb549ab88a0c217069
>
>  In summary, Both monitors were blank.  I made sure that DVI-0 was
> "Monitor0" and much of the other output seemed sane, but the screen
> was still black (not the regular X pattern) and starting xdm didn't
> show anything.

The newer Xorg server versions displays blank by default until the
mouse initialization is called.

You neglected to say what you were doing and how your were starting X.
 Very important information.

If you want the legacy behavior for testing whether X starts with the
crosshatch/stipple background and mouse pointer, I think you want
'Xorg [-config <file>] -retro'  Where <file> is generated by Xorg
- -configure.

For dual monitors you'll probably need to use xrandr to set them up
correctly.

I have the following in my .xinitrc for example before launching the
windows manager:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --crtc 1 --right-of DVI-1 --mode 1600x1200

Use 'xrandr -q' to query the names of outputs.   Use --verbose if you
need crtc information as well.

Also, since I use two 1600x1200 displays, I have the following line in
my screen section of xorg.conf:

Virtual   3200 1200

Full section for reference:

Section "Screen"